Mike L.

Default GE Microwave popping and crackling

I had recently found a GE microwave by the side of the road. It is in a very
nice looking' condition, date Jan.2002 1 year warranty model #JES831PWF001.
My second thought was this unit is to nice looking to not have a trouble.
Well, I was right, when I plugged it in the first thing I noticed was that
it had to initialize its smart board, ok fine. Then a message came across
the digital display quoting the word "RESET"(Later I find out what this word
means). So, now I'm setting the clock and everything seems OK at this point.
Now here is the fun part of my post. I go to punch in some numbers, you know
to run the unit and see how it works. The very first number I punch in is
the 1 pad and the thing starts up, runs automatically. I don't get to pad in
any other pads, but then after a few seconds of running it starts popping,
crackling and voltage-current drain through out the house. I quickly unplug
the unit. (In the inside -cooking area- of the unit is a smart chard area
about a half inch in diameter around 2 by 4 at the top of the metal plate).
----Magnetron

I haven't taking any reading checks yet at this time. I have opened the case
and found the service sheet in an envelope. After looking it over I found a
section that states that the display quote from earlier in my post "RESET"
means power failure.

I have several questions, but here is the first one what is a magnetron?
Stupid question I know! There is RF frequency statement by the model # that
says RF 2450MHz; will this frequency interfere with my 2.4GHz wireless
router?

What is causing the popping, crackling? If I was not in-depth enough please
let me know.

I will also scan the service sheet in a day or two in PDF format and post it
with the same subject heading.

Thanks for your time that it took to read through my post.

Mike L.