Frank Watson

Default How close to my house may I safely plant a Leylandii hedge ?

The fact is, about 10 years ago, I planted a Leylandii hedge about 3.5
mtrs from myhouse a few years ago. The assistant in the shop where I
bought them, misled me into thinking that if I "nipped the tops out"
when they reached the height I desired, they would not grow any more!
Having seen how fast they grow, and presumably the roots too, I'm
getting concerned that the roots could weaken my house's foundations
and drains. The house was built in 1899 using lime mortar and
presumably with a brick foundation. I'm thinking of chopping them all
down before the roots can spread any further. The hedge is now about
12 feet tall, and that's after having been pruned down a couple of
times.

Should I cut them all down? Would privet cause less of a danger to the
house and drains?

Thanks for any advice.

Frank