Patriarch

Buzz Burrowes wrote in
:

Patriarch wrote:

Five or 6 really strong 'local' programs in the SF Bay Area, with
small classes and excellent craft/art focus. Many instructors are
alumni and/or adjunct faculty at College of the Redwoods, the school
that Krenov led for two decades.

I'm local to the SF Bay Area, and would be interested in any info you
might have on the programs you metion above. Mind elaborating (on the
boards or direct email)?

Thanks in advance,
Buzz

Mt Diablo Adult Education, Pleasant Hill, CA - fairly full range through
intermediate levels. Many of the instructors have had summer CR
experience. Good folks. affiliated with www.diablowoodworkers.com

Arnold Champagne, SF. Arnie did the program at CR, and drank the
KoolAid. Gorgeous veneer and joinery work. Chairs, tables and small
objects are his specialty. Small, short-duration, repeat classes (think
2 to 3 day sessions, every 4-6
weeks.)http://www.champagnesfurniture.com/

Jay Van Arsdale & John Lavine (& others, I'm sure) teach in the area,
based in and about the Laney College program in Oakland. Jay has a
specialty in Japanese style and design sensitivity. A pro woodworker of
my acquaintance trained with him, and cannot speak more highly of him.
John Lavine edits Woodwork Magazine.

What MJ Wallace said about Jerry in Alameda agrees with every one I've
talked to who has taken classes from him. It's a worthwhile investment.

John Grew Sheridan teaches in the area. I think he's at the Academy of
Art near the SF waterfront, at least part time. Arques Wooden Boat
school in Marin County. As several others have mentioned, David Marks
in Sonoma County, as well as Brian Condrian, Michael Cullen, Greg Zall,
Seth Janofsky and others of the marquetry wizards. Sonoma County
Woodworkers is a good starting point for contacting them.
http://www.sonomawoodworkers.com/

Bay Area Woodworkers http://www.geocities.com/bawanewsletter/

Baulines Crafts Guild http://www.baulinescraftguild.org/

There is reliable information about Sacramento activity, too, but I
haven't met any of those folks yet. And more is going on in the South
Bay, but again, that's not in my regular circles.

I KNOW I've left out a number of really good teachers and craftspeople.
We didn't even start on turners, finishing experts or restoration/period
types. There are a more options than can be taken advantage of here.
Something should work for you.

Patriarch