Barry N. Turner

If we knew what caused burls.........we'd be growing 'em ourselves! :-)

Barry

"Jimbo" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:38:26 GMT, Bill Rubenstein
wrote:

I don't think what you have there is a burl but a branch which was
broken off and healed over. The thing of interest to me, though, is
that the pith is way off-center. If it is off-center on the other end,
then I'd cut it through the pith, perpendicular to a line from the pith
to the branch. That will give you a pretty good sided blank for a
hollow form turned in either direction. Or you could get a pretty deep
bowl or maybe a natural edge bowl. Also, I'd do it soon.

Bill

Thanks Bill. You are correct as I look at it again. That brings me to
another question, what does cause a burl?

The pith is off center on the other end, just about the same distance.
I will give that some thought.. and yes I plan to get started in the
next day or two what ever may become of it.

Jimbo