Wes Stewart

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:32:08 GMT, Steve B. wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 05:08:42 -0700, Wes Stewart
wrote:

So if I take an old stick shift 1/2-ton Chevy truck with a carbureted
350 in it and replace the engine with an LS-1 5.7 L, I shouldn't
expect any gain in performance or fuel economy? Interesting.

No you shouldn't expect much improvement if you replace the engine
(outside compressor unit) and leave the existing 3 speed transmission
(air handler/evaporator). The new four speed overdrive transmission
is where a lot of your savings comes from

No, the improved BSFC that derives from better fuel metering, reduced
friction, higher combustion efficiency and the lighter weight are
where the improvements come from.