Richard J Kinch

excap writes:

I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either
Latex or Oil based.

MY ANNUAL EXPLANATION ABOUT "LATEX PAINT" BEING UNRELATED TO "LATEX
RUBBER".

The word "latex" in general and with regard to paint means "emulsion",
nothing more. The emulsion may be of acrylic, or other things like
polyvinyl acetate or natural casein. The term "latex paint" tells you
nothing but that the paint is a water-based emulsion. It does NOT tell
you what species of polymer.

"Natural latex", often confusingly just called "latex", is the rubber
tree sap, an emulsion of natural rubber. This has nothing to do with
"latex" paint. "Latex rubber" is rubber made from natural latex.
Before modern polymers, this was the only latex polymer, so in those
days "latex" almost always meant natural rubber emulsion, leading to a
misunderstanding today in peoples minds.

Many plants have latex sap, not just rubber trees.