nolsar

I see vcr`s (4head hi-fi)at yardsales working for $5.00 get DVD recorder
"Inty" wrote in message

"WB2MEP" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

It's definitely worth it recapping the power supply in that VCR.
That's an early-mid 90's Panasonic-made VCR, and those power supplies
were notorious for the electrolytics going bad. He's probably seeing
the early stages of capacitor failure, the VCR will eventually not
power up at all.

See:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/smpsfaq.htm
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/...tm#vcrqtipsmps
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/rball.htm#rb002

We have the same model VCRs in my wife's store for recording the
security cameras. It was in the store when we bought it in 1998,
and has been recording 16 hrs/day, 7 day/week since then. (The rest
of the video equip. has mfg. dates of 1996, so the VCR was likely
put in service about that time) I don't think any new VCR would hold
up under that kind of use. Which is why I plan on replacing the video
heads on it when they finally go(SP died a couple years ago, but EP is
still holding on.)

Those are great VCRs, but making the PSU work is a bit tricky :-)

If the OP doesn't have an ESR meter to test the caps, just replace all
the electrolytic caps, except maybe the large 160 - 200 volt cap on the
primary side. I use low-ESR, 105 deg. Nichicon caps, I order from

It didn't need to be changed !!! Change all the caps on the secondary !!!

I.