On 12-Jun-2005, Jim B wrote:

The reason why I ask the question, is how much can I save
if I do some of the manageable work myself, like installing
windows, doors, gutters, sidings, internal drywalls, piping
and etc.

Make sure you and your subcontractors clearly understand who is doing what
work.

I recently hired a contractor by the hour to work with me to remodel my
kitchen.

As it evolved it turned out he and I had very different ideas about who was
doing what work and basically he got upset when he saw I was doing any work
at all. I was taking money out of his pocket as he put it.

Just make sure you have a clear understanding with the people you hire as to
the extent of the work they will be doing.

ml