Jim B

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:45:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Tough to answer. As an example, windows and drywall are very different. A
$500 window may cost $50 to install, but $500 worth of drywall may cost
$1500 to install. Change that window from $500 to a cheapo at $100 or a
fancy one at $2000 and the cost of installing it may remain the same.

Our local windows and doors store explained to me in detail, a 24X36
double hung window (vinyl and aluminum depending on features) will
cost $128 to $200 each. A door in home centers cost $170 to $300. Do
I have the skill to install windows and doors? I have been watching too
much Hometime, DIY, This Old House and etc. The last few months I
was busy repairing and replacing rotting windows, doors and woods
around the house, including gutters and recapped the chimney. I know
how the windows and doors were installed. The weight of the windows
can be further reduced by removing the glass sections during installation.
The siding will be Nova Brik and I believe I will save a bundle here in
labor cost.

What you want to do is talk to the contractor and tell him what you are
interested in doing. He can give a price on the complete structure, he can
give you a cost broken down for framing, electrical, etc. Some will be very
happy to work with you on that basis.

My contractor is willing to go along with my plan. An architect will prepare
drawings and plan for the permits to proceed.

One hint; Get someone to do the drywall. The pro can do the job quickly
and much easier that you can handle the big sheets. Money well spent.

I still believe it's not difficult to install drywall. If it's too heavy, I will
gladly let the contractors do it.

Thanks the advice and suggestion.