Phil Scott

"CR" wrote in message

"PhotoMan" wrote in message

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
news:F5Pqe.1653294$6l.567253@pd7tw2no...
I'm soon to begin constructing a ground level (i.e. 14"

above ground)
cedar
deck off the back of my house, and so right now I'm in

the process of
determining all that I will need to purchase before I

begin, including a
few
new power tools. For example, the circular saw I have

is okay for
occasional use but I dread using it for a whole project,

so I want to
buy
myself a considerably better one. Now, aside from

value-per-price
considerations, what should I look for in shopping for a

very-good to
high
quality circular saw? And in particular, what should I

make of
"worm-drive"
versus the more common, "side-winder", type saws?

Snip

As long as you're committed to spending money on tools,

you should
consider
a good compound miter saw, and/or radial arm saw. In the

long run you'll
have much more versatility.

Miter saws, and/or radial arm saws are much more versatile?

Good for trim
and finish work, but I have always found them a little

cumbersome when
trying to follow a caulk line on a roof or on a deck when

trimming off the
ends. Maybe I'm not holding them right?

Hey flattracker,,,what are you running? Im running an ATK
600 on the quarter mile dirt ovals, not bad for age 64 no?

Saw wize I have almost a dozen. including a 16" makita miter
saw, and porter cable side wider I built a large blade guard
onto so it takes a 12" blade. Thats handy.

and a chinese 12" compound sliding miter saw.. 200 bucks..it
will come in handy one of these days.

Phil Scott

CR