Jim B

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:31:45 -0500, "DanG" wrote:

Thank you for replying. I will engage an architect to prepare dwg,
plans and submit it to the City for approval. We will add two-rooms
(12"X15") to an existing two bedroom ranch house in a one acre
lot. A contractor will subcontract excavation of the sites for the
concrete slab for the extension. He will subcontractor various jobs
which he or I unable to do. I will do all the manageable jobs as listed
below

Basically, I am trying to estimating how much money do I need for
the two-rooms extension, if I do 35% to 45% of the work. I will
also save, if buy the materials on the contractor's account.

There is absolutely no way to answer your question. Work with a
good builder. Ask him for a turnkey price. Ask him for a price
that will just get you "in the dry". The problem here is a need
to be very specific about what is and is not included in the "dry"
pricing. It might be easier to have him perform all work other
than interior finishes. Most builders use sub contractors for the
different trades so it is fairly easy to exclude that sub's bid.
The problem comes if the next trade(s) is/are waiting for the
completion of one of the ones you are performing. Your quality
and speed, or lack thereof, can disrupt the entire process. If a
trade knows that they are not completing the project, there is a
chance for increased shortcuts.

Most municipalities only write permits for 6 months. If you do
not complete in that time frame, you get to start that process
over.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jim B" wrote in message

If I engage contractors or builder to rebuilding and enlarge
a house, what will be the percentage for labor and building
material?

The reason why I ask the question, is how much can I save
if I do some of the manageable work myself, like installing
windows, doors, gutters, sidings, internal drywalls, piping
and etc.