Charlie Self

George wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:01:32 -0400, George wrote:

No-till around here usually involves round-up or similar. Same where
you are? I suppose it kills the old whatever, while giving it more time
to decompose while the next crop is growing.

Kills the weeds. Rolling it under used to reduce them enough to allow the
crop to sprout and defend itself. Still, it's tough to use a cultipacker
with corn stubble in place.

Corn stubble. A million years ago (well, about 33) I moved to
Wisconsin. Rented a farmhouse surrounded by acres of corn, which got
cut along about mid-October. I rode my OSSA Six Days up and down the
rows but since that part of Wisconsin has no hills, it was dull. So I
rode across the rows. Yumpin' yiminey! And you do NOT want to unload in
corn stubble.