Daniel A. Mitchell

DeepDiver wrote:
"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
news
On 29 Jun 2005 14:53:21 -0700, "Leo Plas"
wrote:

I am prospecting around for a used collet chuck for my lathe which has
a L-0 spindle.

If you have a face plate you can get what is called a collet
vise that will take 5C collets and bolt this to the faceplate.

Why limit yourself to a solution that will not allow you to pass long stock
through your spindle?

Ebay currently has a Hardinge-Sjogren 5C Collet Chuck for L-0 Spindle
available (albeit, pricey):

But before laying out that kind of money, I'd see if I could mount a
plain-back Bison 5" 5C Collet Chuck to your L-0 spindle using a suitable
mounting adapter. You can probably make such a mount, but I don't know
enough about the L-0 spindle specs to say for sure.

Enco currently has the Bison 5C collet chuck (Item # 271-5610) on sale for
$274.95 (down from $318.95):

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=271-5610

You can see it at the bottom of this catalog page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=295

Combined with their free shipping, this is a very good deal!

- Michael

New England Brass & Tool http://www.brassandtool.com sells a L-0
adapter specifically for the Bison 5C collet chuck (which they also
sell). It's not terribly expensive.

Dan Mitchell