Harold and Susan Vordos

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Terry wrote:

Thanks for all the tips. I wonder why these are so difficult to find?

Guess I'll have to make one. The bolt idea is quick and easy, but that
doesn't leave me with a 1/2" shank, unless I am missing something.

You missed his point. Use a SHOULDER bolt with a 1/2" shoulder and 3/8"

thread,
then machine off the head and you'll have a nice ground 1/2" shank, just

exactly
what you want.

GWE

The problem with that idea is that stripper bolts (shoulder bolts) are
centerless ground, with the threaded portion generated by either a die head,
or the thread rolled. They are not generated around a true center, as might
be desired. There's no guarantee the chuck will run true as a result.
The slightest amount of deflection will manifest itself in a badly aliened
chuck, especially when holding a long drill.

Harold