operator jay

"NRen2k5" wrote in message
On 6/9/2005 3:32:24 PM, "Harry Muscle" wrote:
We just bought a house and one of the first things I want to do is
rewire it to get rid of the aluminum wiring. I've been studying the
Ontario Electrical Code Simplified book to get an idea of what's going
to be involved. I'm going to be working with an electrician on this
(although I will hopefully do most of the work), but I don't want to
bother him yet, since it's still 6 weeks before we actually get the
house.

I have access to all the floors (except for the finished basement)

from
either the attic or crawl space, so I'm hoping this will require very
little opening up of the walls. There is one question I have though
.... on a rewiring project, do I need to comply with the rule that
requires the wire to be attached to the stud within 12" (30cm) of the
box and 5' (1.5m) thereafter? If so, then this would definately
require more holes in the walls? If I don't need to comply with this
rule on a reno, does anyone know which rule says so (remembering it's
the Ontario, Canada codes that apply to me, not the NEC or CEC).

Oh, one more thing, if I infact don't need to secure the wiring inside
the walls, would it be advisable to use BX wire instead of Romex,

since
there will be a greater chance of accidentally hitting the wires with
nails, etc. when hanging pictures, etc.

Thank you so much,
Harry

The assumption that you only have to adhere to the Ontario code is
incorrect. In fact there is no Ontario code. Rather, you have to adhere
to the CEC and whatever additional requirements Ontario and your
municipality have.

- NRen2k5

There is the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, a package of CEC and
amendments. I believe this is the document the Electrical Supply Authority
will enforce.