Martino

Are we talking here about:
- one hot and one cold tube per appliance (like shower) or
- one hot and one cold tube per bathroom (like shower, bathtub, lavatory,
toilet) and then split per appliances or
- one tube per section of the house (like 2nd floor west wing) and then
split per appliances or event rooms at first and appliances later?

Interestingly I just did a quick cost comparo and it looks like the material
price is not much different between the different approaches.

If I used method one; would it be of any benefit to me to shut-off water
access to appliances I am not using long term; like guest bathroom?

Cheers

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
a wrote:
I am planning to re-do the 'cobbled together' plumbing in our home and am
considering PEX. I hear that PEX is easy to install (which would help us
when we have to run pipes up existing walls).

The existing system used 1/2" copper (and 70 year old galvanized iron
pipe) & was run in a 'straight line' fashion. e.g for the 'cold' line
from the kitchen sink, to rear outside tap, to bathroom sink, to toilet,
to cold water inlet, to bathroom tub, to hot water inlet, to the front
outside tap.

I see one way to install PEX is with a manifold system - where 1/2" PEX
pipes run off of a manifold to each appliance. Apparently that method
allows for less 'shower shock' - and, if you use individual appliance
shut-off's - allows for servicing individual appliances.

The only troulble with it is that we see is the cost of the manifolds and
the individual shutoff valves. We very seldom have to turn the home
water off for repairs so we think the individual shutoffs is kind of
overkill.

Instead of the manifold system - could we do it in the 'straight line'
fashion - using 3/4" PEX? Or is there something we are missing?

Hi,
Manifold all the way. That's all they use in our area on new houses.
I used it when I built my cabin. Neat and easy to work with.
IMO, PEX is good stuff in cold or hot.
Tony