Stephen A Vicinanza

Hi Jango,

That was a very comprehensive answer. The grinding noises seems to be coming
from the spindle and the top of the clamp, which rotates freely inside its
housing. I am guessing most CD Players are like this. When the rpms are low,
its very loud, when the disc catches and spins right, and the rpms are high,
its lower in volume. It's a sound like a loose plastic disk spinning
against something.

When you say transverse motion, do you mean giving the wheel a gentle nudge
while it is spinning, to tense up the belt? The would be hard, since the
belt and wheels are below the sled, when the disc is inside playing. The
belt I am refering to is very loose, much looser then the door mechanism
belt.

Oscilliscope is a whole different animal. I was trying to get away with not
having to use one, if at all possible. Mainly cause I don't have one. And
I'm not sure how much they cost, even a used one. If I was going to be
repairing electronics all the time, it would certainly be a good investment,
but its just the one deck. Might I adjust the preset at the back of the
block, just tweak it a bit and see if that helps. When you say the block,
which area do you mean, the laser housing, the spindle housing, an
electronic part, the deck itself? Newbie here.
I will also check my CD repair guide I downloaded from the internet. Got
have some info, right? Can't be a total lamer. Ha ha!!

Steve

--
Stephen A Vicinanza
Vicinanza Associates

"jango2" wrote in message
oups.com...
Stephen,
are u sure u arent mistaking the noise produced by the optics for a
mechanical grinding sound?
If somethings impeding your spindle motor from attaining adequate rpm
the cd would spin and then give up and stop.A simple test to gauge the
problem....try playing track 7, if u can play later tracks then it
could be a spindle servo problem(likely mechanical. Can u hook up an
oscilloscope to rf out and observe the waveform and amplitude? If
amplitude is low you might be able to tweak it by turning the preset at
the back of the block a bit.
The loose belt could be a sled motor belt, see if assisting traverse
motion with a prod enables u to lock onto a track for a few seconds.
Jango.