Glenn Ashmore

Hope your deck is not to high off the ground.

Copper tube is going to be far to weak to use as a railing and the heat of
soldering is going to weaken it even more. Hard drawn copper has a yield
stregth somewhere around 10,000 PSI compared to mild steel at 36,000 PSI.
and the Young's Modulus is less than half.
If someone falls against it it stands a good chance of collapsing.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Wood Butcher" wrote in message
I want to make handrails for the stairs on my deck
out of 1 1/2 inch Cu pipe. The problem is I cannot
find reasonably priced flanges.

My thought is to cut 3" dia circles out of 0.125 Cu
plate and solder end caps to them.

Will these be strong enough for the application?
Any suggestions on where to find the Cu plate?

Art