HerHusband

Calvin,

If it "just fits" you may be overstuffing the conduit.

Yep, my "Code Check Electrical" book says I can have a maximum of two 8
gauge conductors in 1/2" PVC conduit (for individual wires). But I'll have
four wires (8/3 w/ground) with the cable jacket. It fits into the conduit
easy enough, but I would clearly be exceeding the fill requirements for
conduit.

My main concern was whether it would be acceptable for such a straight
short run (3 feet). Doesn't seem like it would be all that different than
drilling a hole through a bunch of studs to snake the romex through.
Especially since it's a vertical section that's open at the top and bottom.

All you have to do is put a fitting on the end of the conduit that
would be used to attach it to a junction box, and get a
female-to-female pipe coupling to couple the threaded end of the
fitting to a threaded cable clamp. Works very nicely.

That was my plan if I have to resort to stripping the romex jacket back.
The conduit ends just above a foundation wall, so there isn't really room
to install a junction box there, and I can't really install bends in the
conduit with it being overfilled already.

If I have to, I could drill up from the crawlspace and snake the wire up to
the electrical panel. But, there's a LOT of cables in that stud bay under
the panel. The conduit would be so much nicer if I can use it.

Thanks for the input!

Anthony