Bob Martin

in 1216854 20050629 222345 (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Juergen Hannappel wrote:
(Doug Miller) writes:
Here in America, we do not share the belief that there are any
limits.

That is well known and bitterly grieved over by the rest of the world
which has to suffer the consequences.

You know, it really ****es me off to hear western Europeans whining about
America.

Where the hell would you have been in the 1940s, without America's belief that
there are no limits? This nation came out of the worst economy of modern times
and built a massive military machine _from_scratch_ to free your sorry asses
from a dictator that you weren't able to get rid of on your own(and in the
case of your nation specifically, weren't *willing* to get rid of), because we
knew it was the right thing to do - and because of our persistent belief that
We Can. We don't ever see any limits, and instead of "bitterly griev[ing]"
that you should be on your knees giving thanks for six decades of freedom that
you owe *solely* to the United States.

Who do you suppose it was that kept you free *after* the war ended? It sure as
hell wasn't your *own* armies that kept the Soviets out. Yes, we screwed up at
Yalta, and abandoned eastern Europe, to our shame. But if it hadn't been for
the American military, and American nuclear weapons [I bet that'll *really*
get your panties twisted in a knot, but it's true], the Iron Curtain would've
been at the Atlantic Ocean instead of in the middle of the continent.

And this is the thanks we get.

Doug, we don't need to start this "battle of the allies" yet again.

To correct your somewhat skewed view of history please read the relevant
discussions in soc.history.war.world-war-ii