Gunner

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 03:01:12 GMT, Ignoramus4093
wrote:

On 29 Jun 2005 19:51:27 -0700, gtslabs wrote:
I picked up a 10 hp compressor, dual heads, 2 stage, 120 gallon tank.
The Pump has a centrifical unloader. The Motor is 3 phase 240 of which
I run on my 10hp rotary phase converter wired with 8-3 With Ground and
a 40 amp breaker.
The compressor starts fine but the breaker trips when the compressor is
near its top end around 160 psi. What are some causes for the breaker
to trip?

If the phase converter is rated 10 HP on the output, it takes more
power at input due to power losses. If, say, your converter's
efficiency is 83%, then it would take approximately 120% of output
energy.

120% * 10 HP = 1.2*7510 watts = 9012 watts.

At 220 volts, it is 9012/220 = 40.96 amps.

You need bigger breakers, and make sure that your wire capacity
matches the breaker.

And turn your max air pressure down to 120 psi. Your compressor will
love you and there simply is no need for any pressures higher than
that in most home shops.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner