Mark D. Zacharias

"Stephen A Vicinanza" wrote in message
Hi Again,

Thanks for the good advice.

What is anyone's reccomendation for the type of lubricants I should use on
the mechanical parts. For cleaning the lens I am going to use just
alcohol.

Thanks
Steve

--
Stephen A Vicinanza
Vicinanza Associates

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
m...
Stephen A Vicinanza wrote:
Hi
Okay, I inserted the disc and it loads properly. Meaning the carriage
takes the disc inside the machine and clamps it to the turntable. At
this point, I am able to rotate the disc with my finger, in either
direction. Meaning I can spin the disc freely, but does not have play
up and down. I press play and the disc spins, there is a noise like
loose stones rolling around inside the deck, the disc slows, slips a
great a deal, then it comes to a halt. I advance the track to 2, and
the disc spins much faster, then the same rolling stones noise, the
disc stops playing and then slowly comes to a halt, like what you
would expect if you had pressed the stop button.
I hope this is clear, I am a newbie, you know.

Thanks
Steve

At the very least a proper lens cleaning is in order. Other maintenance
as well, including cleaning any debris from around the spindle motor
shaft and applying a bit of light oil there (clean away any excess).
Other moving parts, slider surfaces etc should be cleaned and re-lubed as
necessary. Routine maintenance such as this has fixed many a cd player,
and is worth at least trying before looking for any more exotic problems.

Mark Z.

A very light oil for the spindle motor, perhaps sewing machine oil, or I
like a commercial product called Tri-Flow. I also use it on the metal rails
on which the laser rides. It works much like WD-40 is supposed to work,
except it seems to last, whereas we all know WD doesn't. It's silicon-based.
A fine litium grease is good for plastic gears.

Mark Z.