Ken Weitzel:
The head you just described is the full tape erase head and is only
activated when recording. The control head certainly could be the
culprit as described by Sofie. The A-C head (audio-control) head is
the LAST head that the tape touches the right side just before the
capstan and pinch roller... then the tape goes back into the cassette
housing. A thorough inspection and cleaning of that head is
warranted. Also trying other tapes as you suggested is a good plan
because as you know, damaged, worn, or improperly recorded tapes can
cause the exact symptoms.
electricitym
.. . . . . .

Ken Weitzel wrote:
Peter Smith wrote:
Thanks for the fast replies.

Sofie, I cleaned the heads and the tape path first, and I didn't notice any
improvement.
I really am not comfortable repairing the PS myself, I was just going to
tell them the cost of a rebuilt supply if they wanted to get it fixed. I
doubt they'll want to spend much on this unit considering it's age, but I do
want to make sure that I made the correct diagnosis. Is there much of a
chance that it might be something else? To describe the picture a little
further, it's mostly black & white with a lot of snow and lines, in addition
to the speed fluctuating about twice per minute. Thanks Again.

Hi Peter...

Can't get my TV to turn on yet; but I've done about a
gazillion or so vcr's...

If I get a vote I cast it in favor of cleaning the tape
path. Pay extraordinary attention to the control head
(furthest left viewed from above, head the tape contacts
first before the video heads)

A few new q-tips and a little isopropyl alcohol. After you
finish cleaning it then clean it again

Then re-do the video heads. And again.

Don't be tricked into testing by playing a tape that's
been recorded on this same machine (at least not while
it was 'dirty') Playback a tape from a known good
machine. Or a commercial tape.

Take care.

Ken