George E. Cawthon

That fallacious argument is used often. Yes the
costs add up with hundreds of doors. But of
course so would receipts of one added a few
pennies per door.

Automobile companies use that argument all the
time for not spending less than $10 for some
safety innovation. But they have no problem in
adding $100's for some standard luxury item that
costs an additional $50 or so.

C & M wrote:
I'm thinking that even though the material cost per door seems small they
have to multiply that by hundreds if not thousands and the savings add up,
in their eyes.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Battleax wrote:

"World Traveler" wrote in message
link.net...

wrote in message
legroups.com...

I'm finishing a ton of the doors in my home but this is my first time.
Can anyone out there give me some tips? I've finished wood before;
it's just that I'm not quite sure what position the doors should be in.
Should the doors be left hanging? Should they be finished
horizontally/vertically? Should all of the hardware preps, tops,
sides, and bottoms be finished with as many coats as the front and
back? I only have one sawhorse, so maybe I need to get another. Any
help you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Some recommend leaving the bottom unfinished to allow the door to

better

accomodate seasonal changes in temperature and humidity. Regards --

Seasonal changes are the reason you MUST paint the bottom, as well as
everything else.

Not a must, maybe not even common. Many interior
door tops and/or bottom are raw wood. Most of
the bottoms of old time solid doors that I have
seen do not have paint on them. There is stain
but no finish on the top or bottom of the hollow
core doors in my 1970's built house. The tops of
many hollow core doors bought at HF or Lowes are
not primed although the other surfaces are.

Sure it is smart to finish all surfaces. But
furniture manufactures commonly do not finish any
surface that doesn't show, even though applying a
finish would add little to the cost of the item.