sofie

Ken:
You are right about the control head, but actually Ken, the control head
(A/C Head) is the furthest right..... after the video heads and exit roller
guide.... right before the capstan and pinch roller. The lower part of
that head, if it has any kind of build-up or debris on it can cause the
symptoms Peter Smith mentioned in his original posting.
The head that you mentioned on the left that first head that the tape
touches on the left before it goes past the roller guides and video drum is
the FULL ERASE HEAD and problems with that head would not produce any bad
symptoms when playing back good pre-recorded tapes.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Can't get my TV to turn on yet; but I've done about a
gazillion or so vcr's...

If I get a vote I cast it in favor of cleaning the tape
path. Pay extraordinary attention to the control head
(furthest left viewed from above, head the tape contacts
first before the video heads)

Ken