The most probable diagnosis is high esr electrolytics in the power
supply. Don't waste your time trying to test them unless you have an
esr meter. Replacing all of them in the power supply (approx 8 - 12 )
will likely cure the problem you are having with the VCR.
electricitym
..
..
..

Peter Smith wrote:
I'm trying to check out a Quasar VCR for a relative. The unit plays, but the
picture is badly garbled and the flow of the tape through the machine seems
to fluctuate every now and then. When just watching a TV channel through
it's tuner the picture also fluctuates. I was thinking that the power supply
was possibly going bad, how do I test it? I've found a diagram that shows
pins 1, 5, and 6 should all show 5.1 volts, but which other pin should I
connect to to measure the voltage? Should I pull the supply out and try to
measure the voltage without the mainboard connected or should the supply
have a load on it while testing?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.