Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:01:27 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:40:20 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Right. I've got 17 acres of it myself.

Well, as I suspected, your experience "back there" is in the buffer
or wetland programs...

Right, I only have 30 acres total. So, I'm happy leaving it in the long
term crop it's growing now (trees). 8000 planted, plus a few thousand
volunteers (mostly ash...nice lumber,that) is enough to keep me busy
between keeping the listed weeds down, and keeping the lumber shaped
properly.

30 acres here is just almost enough to turn the combine around in...

In my part of Wisconsin, no-till is just getting to be common in the
family farm setting. So things move slow. Like I said, it's not that
they're ignorant of it, they're just chosing not to use it in some
cases.

Not everyone is in full no-till here, either, of course. But there's
nobody still turning enverything over w/ a oneway plow four times a year
like was done in the 50s, either. Anyone farming here is using modern
practices or thy're not surviving--fact of life w/ $3 wheat and $1.50
ag diesel...

At 60 bucks an acre per year for CRP contracts, I can't see planting
soybeans any time soon. If fuel goes waaaaaaaaaay up, then maybe.

At 38-40/A, I didn't either. At 28-32/A it starts looking different.

Is that what it's down to now? My contract is good for a few more
years, I didn't know it was that low.

Contract levels are based on conservation district and soil type, etc.
Back there where it rains, conditions are grossly different than this
dryland. But, for us, yes, that's what current are...what'll happen in
2007 is anybody's guess.

We got
an infestation of sericea lespedeza from the forb seed they required us
to overseed into it for improved wildlife habitat. Now that has been
placed on the noxious weed list and it is incredibly difficult to
eradicate and at $80/gal (including the County Noxious Office kickback),

Nice going to whichever idiot told you to plant it then, eh? I bet he's
not real popular...

Was part of the last CRP practices to "enhance recreational use"...out
here, of course, that means pheasant hunting, primarily. The forbs were
required practice to add to the seed availability. The lespedeza was
weed seed in the forbs, not an intended consequence. That I can live
with--shxx happens. What PO's me is no help in fixing a problem not of
our causing.

I'm almost to the point where the trees make changing my mind a
non-option. I've got (thinks....) maybe 5-6 acres in native
wildflowers, the university sent out a couple of people to do a site
survey and plan & got us started. Looks nice, keeps the weeds out.

Here, trees are a no-no...they're exotics. This is short grass prairie
(although there was significant bluestem and other taller grasses.
Coronado's journals talk of shoulder high in his wandering around.)