Juergen Hannappel

(Doug Miller) writes:

[...]

I prefer a society in which everyone's standard of living improves.

So would I if I thought it were possible. But consider that the
standar of living cannot be measured by metreial wealth alone.

[...]

Capitalism has proven to be a remarkably effective tool for doing just that.

As long as growth rates were high enough so that there was much to
distribute. With growth run into it's limits the gap between rich and
poor will open ever farther.

Compare modern Europe to feudal Europe for an example.

Today with no formal division between a well of nobility and a
rightless population but rather a graduation of differences with the
lure of everyone hope to get richer personaly there is less chance of
a revolution than at the end of feudal reign.

--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe