Duane Bozarth wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:
I wish I shared your confidence and optimism.

The Court specifically allowed for States to set controls over such
behavior

[the behaviour in question being abuse of emminent domain to effect
tranfer of ownership from one private party to another private party]

and I strongly expect them to do so.

That's the problem, not the solution! Leaving it up to government
to decide who may keep their property and who must sell it to
another PRIVATE party is not only morally wrong it is also certain
to result in land-usage that favors short-term monetary profit at
the expense of anything else including what would be best for
society in the long run.

Agriculture will never be able to lobby as effectively for a
specific parcel of land as will 'developers'. The money to
be made per acre per election cycle for 'development' will
always be orders of magnitude greater than that made from
agriculture for the same acreage over the same election cycle.
duration of one election cycle. Now factor in the tax-revenue
generated per acre post-'developement' as compared to that
for farmland or, God forbid undeveloped land. Only that
rarest of creatures, a politician acting for the best long-term
interests of society, can resist all that.

--

FF