Sam Goldwasser

writes:

I have a 3 year old Gateway computer with monitor and for the past few
weeks at various times the monitor screen shrinks to where I can not
see the toolbar. It is all black on the bottom and about an inch above
there is a translucent 3D 1 inch wide bar that goes across the screen.
The screen slightly flutters when it's in this state. It happens from
time to time and sometimes goes back to normal itself. Other times I
have to restart the computer. What could this be? Could my monitor be
on the way out? Might there be some electrical interference nearby?
Does anyone have any ideas?

If it happens from time-to-time, it is most likely bad solder connections
somewhere in the deflection circuitry. Gently whacking the monitor will
probably induce it or fix it, which would confirm the diagnosis. Get it
repaired before the monitor ends up dead.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.