Australopithecus scobis

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:49:50 -0500, Hax Planx wrote:

Sounds good, but I guess my other beef with scary sharp is convenience.
Like once you glue sandpaper onto the glass, it has to come off at some
point? Do you use the 3M spray adhesive to hold the sandpaper down?
Then you have to get the glass clean again, or it won't be flat. It
just seems easier to me to pull a water stone out of the tub. I
remember from the original SS messages some people were using a half
dozen or more grits. I like sharp as much as the next guy, but a that
many grits seemed a bit much.

Yes, removing the paper is a pain. However, a soak in hot water makes it
much simpler to peel off with a razor scraper. The half-dozen grits are
what makes it so cool. You can chop out the grit scars very quickly. You'd
have to have almost a half-dozen waterstones to do the same thing.
Remember, you have to keep flattening the waterstones. I figure that
maintenance is about the same hassle as changing paper.

I switched to waterstones from SS. I can get a mirror on the
backs of blades with SS, but not on stones. Operator error, probably,
nevertheless I keep my SS slab set up for back polishing.

Last, I'll put in a plug for the Ice Bear 10k. It may not be a Shapton,
but it cuts verra fast.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com