Dave

Default diy laser steering track adjustment

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:43:54 UTC, "James Hart"
wrote:

My sister went to a fast fit type place once and they replaced 1 tyre on

her
car. Not only did they put the new one on the back

Interstingly, I had two new tyres fitted last week at Costco. Front
tyres wore out aftre about 16000 miles (good going for me).

There were two separate notices in the shop, at the desk; one from the
Tyre Manufacturers Association (or some such) and one from Michelin.
Both said that the advice is that new tyres are fitted to the REAR,
since failure of a rear tyre is more catastrophic steering-wise, and
it's harder to keep adhesion on rear wheels...

Sorry for joining this thread a bit late.

I have always put quality new tyres on the front of all the Rover cars I
have owned (all FWD), due in the main, to a front tyre blow out I had back
in my motorcycle days. When it happened, I got the impression that the frame
had snapped, until I realised the tyre had blown. :-((

I have been behind a car that had a rear wheel blow out on the motorway. He
was doing 70 MPH at the time and there was no evidence that the car was not
under control.

If you don't run up over the kerbs and look after your tyres, changing them
whenever you suspect that you have hit a bad pothole and have the tracking
checked, then all should be OK and you will probably never experience a blow
out.

Dave