Mark D. Zacharias

Stephen A Vicinanza wrote:
Hi
Okay, I inserted the disc and it loads properly. Meaning the carriage
takes the disc inside the machine and clamps it to the turntable. At
this point, I am able to rotate the disc with my finger, in either
direction. Meaning I can spin the disc freely, but does not have play
up and down. I press play and the disc spins, there is a noise like
loose stones rolling around inside the deck, the disc slows, slips a
great a deal, then it comes to a halt. I advance the track to 2, and
the disc spins much faster, then the same rolling stones noise, the
disc stops playing and then slowly comes to a halt, like what you
would expect if you had pressed the stop button.
I hope this is clear, I am a newbie, you know.

Thanks
Steve

At the very least a proper lens cleaning is in order. Other maintenance as
well, including cleaning any debris from around the spindle motor shaft and
applying a bit of light oil there (clean away any excess). Other moving
parts, slider surfaces etc should be cleaned and re-lubed as necessary.
Routine maintenance such as this has fixed many a cd player, and is worth at
least trying before looking for any more exotic problems.

Mark Z.