Prometheus

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:56:34 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Not.

You don't think so? I've got a calculator from 1996 laying around
somewhere that can solve just about any calculus problem by typing in
solve( and then the problem. Same for algebra, trig, or any other
branch of math you care to name. I don't imagine that they've gotten
less powerful over time.

But that's the extreme case- I know a lot of people who can't do long
division, and don't care to know how because they have a calculator.
But then when they don't have a calculator handy, they're lost. That
would indicate to me that they don't understand the math, they just
know how to operate a calculator.

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:24:35 GMT, "CW" wrote:
That, and dependancy on calculators seems to interfere with people

fully understanding the math.