Prometheus

On 28 Jun 2005 21:37:17 -0700, wrote:

I am made some of Bonnie Klien's homemade friction polish using equal
parts of: Zisner bullseye 3lb cut shellac, rubbing alcohol, and boiled
linseed oil. This mix does not produce a very high gloss finish and I
am looking for advice on what to add or change proportion to make a
higher gloss.

Try just using the shellac, I've always gotten really nice glossy
results with that alone. You can dillute it with the rubbing alcohol
to a lighter cut if you're having trouble with it (directions are on
the side of the can) It also helps to really shine the wood before
you put anything on it. You can get automotive sandpaper up to 2000
grit, and working up to that will give you a glossy finish all on it's
own- it's really easy to get the finish to shine when that's the case.

For the stuff you've already done, try buffing it with a little paste
wax. I've actually found the shellac to be a little glossier on it's
own, but it can't hurt anything!