Gunner

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:39:48 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

One thing that's still not clear: in my Machinery Handbook, it shows that
the drawbar for NMTB tapers have two threaded portions at the toolholder
end: a larger threaded portion (what they call the "Large End"), followed by
a smaller threaded portion (what they call the "Small End"). Why is the
drawbar stepped in this fashion and how does it work with the NMTB taper
toolholder?

- Michael

Because there are two different drawbar threads commonly used in both
30 and 40 NMTB. I have a number of 30 taper holders that use 3/8-16
drawbar threads and others that are 5/16-hummm 20 IRRC. Then the Cat
30 tapers use both of those and a third, 1/2-12

I have 3 draw bars hanging from a rack on my Gorton MasterMill, for
this reason.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner