John Grossbohlin

"Mike" wrote in message
On 28 Jun 2005 11:01:40 -0700, "
wrote:

I'm finishing a ton of the doors in my home but this is my first time.
Can anyone out there give me some tips? I've finished wood before;
it's just that I'm not quite sure what position the doors should be in.
Should the doors be left hanging? Should they be finished
horizontally/vertically? Should all of the hardware preps, tops,
sides, and bottoms be finished with as many coats as the front and
back? I only have one sawhorse, so maybe I need to get another. Any
help you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A commercial shop I'm familiar with paints the bottoms and then screws two
cleats to the bottom of the doors. The cleats make it such that the doors
can stand upright and they can then paint all the way around without having
to move the door. The holes in the bottoms are touched up later. When there
are a bunch of doors standing on cleats it looks sort of like Stonehenge...
;~)

John