Mike

On 28 Jun 2005 11:01:40 -0700, "
wrote:

I'm finishing a ton of the doors in my home but this is my first time.
Can anyone out there give me some tips? I've finished wood before;
it's just that I'm not quite sure what position the doors should be in.
Should the doors be left hanging? Should they be finished
horizontally/vertically? Should all of the hardware preps, tops,
sides, and bottoms be finished with as many coats as the front and
back? I only have one sawhorse, so maybe I need to get another. Any
help you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not a painter but I'll tell how the painters we work around do it.
First, they spray all of the wood, including the doors, with an
airless sprayer.
All of them spray the doors upright but some leave the doors hanging
and some move them all to one room and have them standing against the
wall.
Most (if not all) door manufacturers require that all 6 sides be
finished or the warranty is voided. It may be a fine line as to
whether or not you need the same number of coats on each side.

Mike O.