C & M

Buy yourself a pair of sawhorses so that they are the same size. You'll
find them just about anywhere and you will use them forever. You didn't
mention what type of finishing you are doing but whatever it is there are a
few basic principals which are true.
1. If you have the room to lay them horizontally you will have less trouble
with sags in your finish.

2. Set up your horses and connect them with a couple of 2x4x8's . Lay one
door on the 2x's at a time and lay on your finish. Lay your next door on
the opposite end so that you can easily reach the entire surface. When
done, have someone help you and lift it up and lay it beside the other one.
I have slid them and gotten away with it but used rags under the door to
avoid marring them.

3. Application of finish to all surfaces is at your discretion but I would
think that you would like to have a nice build up on each side as well as
the door knob edge. The top, bottom ends and the hinge edge won't get the
same degree of traffic, if any. Just be sure that the hinge edge looks nice
when done. Iit will be visible. I am personally too anal to neglect any
surface. When, the next time you want to do this? Does 'never' sound
right?

4. Pleeease remove all hardware before doing anything. I about puke when I
see these decorating shows and they tape around the wall outlet plates and
the door knobs. painting over the hinges.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm finishing a ton of the doors in my home but this is my first time.
Can anyone out there give me some tips? I've finished wood before;
it's just that I'm not quite sure what position the doors should be in.
Should the doors be left hanging? Should they be finished
horizontally/vertically? Should all of the hardware preps, tops,
sides, and bottoms be finished with as many coats as the front and
back? I only have one sawhorse, so maybe I need to get another. Any
help you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.