Leif Thorvaldson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Only thing with apple, and all fruit bearing trees, is that the wood
cracks rapidly; like while you're turning it. I've had some that was
plain, like Harry said, but I've also had some with great grain. I'd
suggest turning it right down to finish thickness, if you hear it snap
(crack), keep soaking the inside with oil (Danish, mineral, tung, ?)
and let the oil replace the juice flying out as your turning.

It's a fun wood to turn.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

=====At the risk of disagreeing with my betters, I have never had a problem
turning apple (or any fruitwood, for that matter). Simply use LDD as
prescribed and you will have some fine, unwarped and uncracked items to
display or use. I have two pepper grinders that I turned a few years ago,
one from apple and one from pear, and they haven't cracked or warped and
still produce ground pepper. (NB: The wood for these grinders was cut using
a dropstarted chainsaw, but I attribute the non-cracking, non-warping to the
LDD! Shellawax was the finish.*G*)

Leif