John Martin

John Martin wrote:
I'll be picking up a Delta toolmakers surface grinder tomorrow. Will
carry it in the back of an Explorer. I'll have a couple of strong boys
to help load it, but plan to do some disassembly first.
I presume that the cast iron legs will come off pretty easily.
How about the grinding head and/or the column? And the table? Any
tips, or pitfalls to worry about?
John Martin

Mine came apart easily and I needed help lifting only the square base.
Support the head assembly before loosening the pivot cones.
Ask if it had the accessory swivel table for grinding between centers.

It isn't the finest precision surface grinder I've ever used but it is
very useful for sharpening tools and finishing milled parts to better
accuracy than my old Clausing milling machine can attain.

Would you mind sending me photos of the spindle disassembly plate on
the head and whatever the plate is near the bottom of one leg?

Disassembly was a breeze, although seller did almost all the work.

Removed a couple of guards to lighten, then the large nut at the top of
the column. Head slid off, column slid out of base, drawbolt removed.

Removed screws holding crossfeed nut under saddle (one screw only - the
other was broken off and I'll have to remove) and the saddle and table
were off.

Four more screws and the legs came off.

Tip for anyone disassembling one of these for the first time: bring
your large wrenches.

Got it into the basement with my wife's help. Amazing what you can do
with heavy pieces when you think about them a bit.

Came with a magnetic chuck but no swivel table. Found a swivel table
at a reasonable price at a shop on the way home that someone had
written Harig on, but the owner swears it's for the Delta. In any
case, it should fit. No centers, though.

The plates are all painted over, and I don't know how much luck I'll
have stripping them. I'll try to get some photos if I'm successful.

John Martin