Lurker at Large

In article , (v) writes:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:01:45 -0500, someone wrote:

.....My reaction
would be to tell all parties that I will show up for closing 24
hours after I get the HUD statement FAX'ed to me, and not a minute
before.

Hmmm. That's what you "would" do? Sounds suspiciously like big talk
and nothing more. How often have you been able to get your way by
doing this? In particular, since OP thinks it would have been awful
if she had to delay closing by a day, would she be able to use such a
tactic?

I'm the OP, and I wouldn't have thought delaying closing was "awful", I just
didn't think of it. I know I should have, since we didn't have any kind of
deadline or time pressure. I do think that's a little harsh now, although at
the time I was annoyed enough to try it.

As a sort of resolution, our closing turned out ok despite the fact that our
cashier's check was more than $6000 more than we needed. The next day I
compared the final HUD-1 to the preliminary and saw so many discrepancies that
I can't pin the problem on any particular item. I can only summarize by saying
that our mortgage broker guessed VERY wildly on the prelim.

I also now see that we might have gotten a response from the title company if
we'd used different language. Instead of asking what the exact dollar figure
was, we should have asked for their best estimate at the time (the day before
closing). It still would have been off, but probably by a few hundred dollars
instead of thousands. I mean, just imagine if the final total was off by 6000
in the other direction...? That WOULD have delayed closing or possibly even
cancelled the sale if we were stretched to our limits in liquid assets.

Sharon