Hi Dan,

Where in NJ? I have gone through this twice in NJ, so here's my advice:

Basically, you want to buy those upgrades that would be much more
expensive or impossible to do later.
Example: My builders offers an extra course in the basement (making the
basement 10 in. taller) Obviously, this can not be done once the house
is built. So I paid. Fireplace is another example. If you have
cathedral ceilings and want recessed lighting, pay for that as well.
Electricians will charge more later for hard to reach places. Tyvek
wrap is a good idea too, but I was told that it can't be done in those
places where you are having stone or brickfront put on. Some other
upgrades I would recommend a

1.) Garage ceiling receptacles (If you have a high ceiling there,
should be only $60-70 a piece)
2.) Chaser pipe (or two, makes any future wiring a snap)
3.) If you have a walkout basement, order extra window (cost me $700
for a double)
4.) Roof fan or attaic fan
5.) Water heater size upgrade (depending on the size of your family)
6.) KITCHEN EXAUST( Most new construction homes (at least in NJ) come
standard) with circulated vent i.e. kitchen smells never leave the
house! If you're planning to re-do the kitchen later, then don't do it,
as you may not know where the stove will be)

That's all I can think of for now. But keep in mind, in some towns in
NJ (like mine) taxes on new construction are assesed by the TOTAL price
of the purchased home. Which means more upgrades=more taxes. That's why
we took the crappiest kitchen the builder offerend and will redo it
before moving in with an outside contractor.

Good Luck and congratulations!

Igor.