Arfa Daily

I have a bit of a problem when you get to the bit about the spindle spinning
under the disc, and sometimes catching, and sometimes not. The disc should
be firmly clamped to the turntable at all times, whether the spindle motor
is spinning or not. With the disc loaded, the turntable should never be free
to rotate independantly of the disc.

With the machine halted, confirm that the disc is flat on the turntable, and
fixed there by the disc clamp. If it's not, then there's your problem, and
it should be an easy mechanical problem to spot and fix. It's not uncommon
on virtually any CD player, for the turntable to move slightly down the
spindle motor shaft. This will then often prevent the disc clamp from firmly
clamping the disc to the turntable. The turntable height is fairly critical
( to within 0.5 mm MAX ), so don't be tempted to move the turntable unless
you're sure that it has moved. If you get to that point, come back again,
and I'll see if I can guide you as to how to get it right

Geoff

"Stephen A Vicinanza" wrote in message

Hi,

I have a carver DTL50 that isn't working properly. Went to the CD Player
repair site and read a whole lot of information. Still, I am a newbie so
please respond accordingly.

Problem
All electronic display functions are fine. Draw opens and closes fine. The
CD loads correctly. The disk spins, there is some noise, and then it
grinds to a halt. I press play, the disk spins okay, but eventually comes
to a halt and the spindle spins beneath the disk, sometimes catching and
sometimes not. I have the cover off at this point and watch this from
above. Loading and unloading are smooth as silk. My question is, should I
look to dirty optics, or mechanical problem. Seems if the laser and mirror
were dirty it might not be sending the right information about spinning
the disk. Of course the other side of that coin is, that the spindle may
be faulty (although there is no play side to side in the spindle. I
haven't yet checked the pickup to see if its falling back into place
properly.) I'm a newbie, and enjoy a challenge, but if this beyond me,
then so be it.
I'd like to hear some opinions on this. The deck matches my Carver
components that were willed to me by my father, so there is some desire to
repair here.

Thanks
Steve

--