Michael White

) wrote on Monday 27 June 2005 01:11 pm:

I'm planning to paint the exetrior of my house to get it ready for
sale. The old paint is in decent shape, with not much peeling, so the
main function of the pressure washing will be to clean the surface, not
strip the old paint. In fact, I'll mainly be repainting the faded trim
and only touching up the walls.

I was planning to rent a 2,400 psi washer from Home Depot, but am also
considering buying a low-end consumer washer for $70-100. For example,
there's one on sale at Sears with 1,500 psi (not sure about the GPM
rating).

Would something like this be sufficient for my needs, or should I rent
the heavy duty one?

Thanks.

I'm going to have to go against the grain here. I bought one of the cheap-o
Karchers for just the purpose you're planning to use it for and it did the
job. The paint's been up for three years without a problem. I've also
used it for some cleanup of stuff around the house. The big plus is that
it's low maintenance - I didn't want another motor to maintain (already
have lawn mower, paint sprayer, cultivator, chain saw, three cars). Just
remember to set your expectations properly.

The soap dispenser sucks, so don't depend on it's usefulness.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer