TURTLE

"B" wrote in message
Please give me some basic guidance on diagnosing home AC system. The display
on the electronic thermostat went dark, but the batteries aren't dead. The
on/off switch on the thermostat can still start the air handler in the attic,
but the outside compressor won't run. The breaker did not trip off. There was
a lightning storm. What can I do before calling the repairman? Thanks. -B

This is Turtle.

i would take the batterys out of the thermostat for 4 hours and then replace
them with new batterys in the 4 hours later. During this 4 hours , i would also
turn the breaker off to the furnace / air handler to add another check on it
too. If after 4 hours with no high volt power and battery power. it will not
work, i would say the odds of a bad thermostat would be good but I will say
this. I can't see it from here and it could be anything.

TURTLE