Stephen A Vicinanza

Default Help with Carver DTL50, Vintage CDPlayer

Hi,

I have a carver DTL50 that isn't working properly. Went to the CD Player
repair site and read a whole lot of information. Still, I am a newbie so
please respond accordingly.

Problem
All electronic display functions are fine. Draw opens and closes fine. The
CD loads correctly. The disk spins, there is some noise, and then it grinds
to a halt. I press play, the disk spins okay, but eventually comes to a halt
and the spindle spins beneath the disk, sometimes catching and sometimes
not. I have the cover off at this point and watch this from above. Loading
and unloading are smooth as silk. My question is, should I look to dirty
optics, or mechanical problem. Seems if the laser and mirror were dirty it
might not be sending the right information about spinning the disk. Of
course the other side of that coin is, that the spindle may be faulty
(although there is no play side to side in the spindle. I haven't yet
checked the pickup to see if its falling back into place properly.) I'm a
newbie, and enjoy a challenge, but if this beyond me, then so be it.
I'd like to hear some opinions on this. The deck matches my Carver
components that were willed to me by my father, so there is some desire to
repair here.

Thanks
Steve

--