Mark Wells

Suffolk Machinary (Timber Wolf blades) suggests using a "flutter"
method to set the bandsaw tension. They say you should let the tension
off until the blade flutters. In other words, it oscillates back and
forth about 1/4". Then you increase the tension until the flutter is
gone. I found that process very time consuming, and and easy way to
ruin a blade because the tracking can change as you change the tension.

The flutter I'm talking about is that sometimes there can be a harmonic
oscillation in the blade after setting the tension. If that happens,
then you just have to change the tension slightly and the flutter will
go away.

When you see flutter, you'll know what it is. It's pretty obvious that
something is wrong because the blade will be vibrating back and forth
as opposed to just running straight down.

Mark