In alt.home.repair Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Harry K" wrote:

-snip-
That is it in a nutshell. I figure if the engineers designing them say
to use oil formulated for the use, then use it. I am sure that they
know one hell of lot more about it than I do. I would have to dig out
my manual on my new saw to be sure but I think it specifically says not
to use motor oil.

Specific warnings are one thing, (and of course, you have no idea if the
eningeers put that in, or if marketing put that in) but I can tell you as
an engineer that I'm most likely to reccomend that you only use a certain
stuff not becuase I know it's the best, or the only thing that's good, but
becuase people will go and pour concentrated sulfuric acid and iron
filings in and then complain about it.

Bottom line is to use what the saw manual says. My Remington electric
says "Do not use bar and chain oil" -- They recommend 30weight motor
oil.

If they don't say why, then you've got to take that with a grain of salt.
Of course, if you have no other opinons, you may as well do that, but I
know from personal experience that manuals are hardly the be all and end
all of the situation. They're only oocasionally even authoratative.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.