Swingman

"Burt" wrote in message

I'm sure somewhere there was a term posted for the straight line distance
between two points on the edge of a circle but I'm still unsure what that

term
is.

A "chord", as opposed to the curved part, which is generally called the
"arc".

An old Artilleryman will tell you that one mil of angle will subtend an
"arc" of 1 meter at 1000 meters .. but, as in your case, it is really the
"chord" that is the distance on the ground you're after when adjusting
artillery fire. With the roughly 50 meter effective zone of a HE 105mm
round, the difference between the "chord" and the "arc: is moot ... but you
need a bit more precision than that.

.... I mean, ya gotta put this stuff in perspective with those things of
which you are intimately familiar.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05